Saturday, March 6, 2010

Text Messaging. Easy. Awful.

I cannot fully say that text messaging is a horrible thing. I use it for keeping in contact with people. Quick, easy socializing. It's good. I am constantly having to talk to someone. At any rate, I am discovering how horrible text messages are. I can text joy, anxiety, and anger very easily. But my relationships through texts are never the same as a face to face conversation. Recently, I have found myself to be in disagreements. Things were said that maybe shouldn't have been, but when I was able to talk to that person face to face, I discovered that my impressions were largely in my head. It's just funny how a text can create a whole entire, new, and sometimes awkward situation, when really, there may not be as many issues as I thought. I think a thing to avoid is developing, and limiting relationships to text messaging. This is really detrimental to ever understanding someone. Half of the time, understanding someone's point of view is distorted in a text. Not to mention, the ability to hold and lock texts can be a whole new dilemna. Suddenly, someone can hold quotes over someone's head. And in a normal conversation, the quote might not even be remembered.
So, long story short. If you have a friendship, make sure you interact with that person in other ways than text. For lack of better terms, it is quite lame. Sometimes, you can go from the most ridiculous sad, angry, upset state, and then you can see that person, and you somehow wonder why you were even upset. Don't do too much thinking. Know that "ya", "idk", "lol" don't hold too much water in a real conversation. Let the other person say exactly what they mean, and don't worry too much.

1 comment:

sarahbriggs said...

our blogs are friends now.